Everything may change tomorrow chez WN.
The first reason is that D. has a job interview tomorrow! She had a phone interview with the academic dean yesterday, and then he invited her to meet with the head of school tomorrow. So if everyone could help guide the goodwill in the universe on her behalf at 1:00 EST on Tuesday, that would be much appreciated!
The second reason -- one that I'm glad to say pales in comparison to the first reason -- is that the FGS history team has a meeting tomorrow at 2:30 to decide how we're going to move forward. In the words of the head of school:
The bottom line: I very much want this book project to be successful, and I am committed to having it completed by the [same deadline we were working toward before]. However, it is clear to me that there continues to be a disconnect about the way in which we work together. Rather than breaking up the team and starting over, I would like to make a good faith effort to maintain our team. In order to do this, I believe that a face-to-face meeting is required to clear the air, create a new schedule, and devise some rules of engagement.
So we'll see how that goes. I can't quite decide what my bottom line is, what I am and am not willing to live with in this project. That is, I keep deciding and being very clear about it, and then the next week I make a different decision and feel very clear about that one. So now, here we are, a day before the meeting, and I've lost all clarity.
I wish that it were possible for me to know the result of D's job interview before I went into the meeting; if she gets the job, then the money we're getting paid for this project would fade in importance, which might make everything else clearer. And it's just possible that she'll be able to send me a quick note to let me know, but the timing is probably too tight.
So I'll let you all know what happens. I'm really hoping that D and I get to celebrate on Tuesday night!