Sorry to have left folks hanging without giving an update. Partly I have been so damned exhausted every night, what with all of the work of the first week; I got home last night at 7:15, brushed my teeth, and crawled into bed -- not to go right to sleep, but I just couldn't remain vertical any longer.
But also there was nothing exactly to report. D. felt good about her interview and campus visit at the dreamy school on Tuesday, but that's also when she found out that there was another candidate coming later in the week. The head of school said that their plan was to inform the candidates of their decision on Thursday and then get the new employee to sign a contract on Friday.
So here it is, 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, and no call from the school.
I guess all is not lost; the other person could say "no" and then the school could call D. But that seems unlikely.
She is talking with another school on Friday afternoon -- a dreadful school that she interviewed with once before and totally hated. And this would be for a teaching assistant position, which I'm sure will pay basically nothing and which will I'm afraid make her totally miserable. Perhaps it's foolish, but my advice to her is not to take the job if it seems like it's going to be awful; better to be available for substitute work and potential maternity/etc. leaves that come up than to be stuck in a soul-sucking job.
D. is going to call the dreamy school in the morning to say that she just wanted to check in with them since she's talking with another school in the afternoon. She's obviously not going to tell them that the other school sucks.
Big sigh. The week started out with such high hopes.